Who Is Nasire Best? Gunman Who Opened Fire on White House Checkpoint Before Secret Service Neutralized Him Was Struggling with Mental Health Issues
A deranged man who allegedly believed he was Jesus Christ suddenly pulled out a revolver and started shooting near the White House on Saturday night before Secret Service agents quickly responded and took him down with multiple gunshots, sources said.
Nasire Best, 21, reportedly opened fire at a security checkpoint around 6:10 p.m. after officers noticed him acting strangely and walking back and forth along 17th Street Northwest, sources told multiple news networks. He managed to fire only a few rounds before federal agents responded with a barrage of gunfire that killed him. Sources said at least one bystander was struck during the exchange of gunfire and suffered serious injuries.
Mad Man Shot Down
Although investigators have not confirmed a motive, sources said Best was known to struggle with mental health issues and had repeatedly been seen lingering near different White House security checkpoints. They also said he had previously violated a court order barring him from the area.
“FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds – we will update the public as we’re able,” FBI Director Kash Patel posted on X.
The gunfire terrified journalists covering events at the White House, including an ABC reporter who was seen diving for cover during a live broadcast as the shots rang out.
“I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots,” said Selina Wang, a senior ABC White House correspondent.
“It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now.”
The Secret Service quickly placed the White House under lockdown, directing reporters to move to the North Lawn before taking shelter inside the press briefing room. The lockdown was lifted roughly 30 minutes later. The shooting happened less than two hours after President Donald Trump announced on Truth Social that he was in the Oval Office working on a possible peace agreement with Iran.
Not the First Time
X
Best was shot by officers from the Secret Service Uniformed Division. Records show he had previously been involuntarily committed on June 26, 2025, after allegedly blocking traffic near 15th Street and E Street NW. He was later arrested again on July 10, 2025, on an unlawful entry charge.
During that earlier incident, Best allegedly got past a restricted White House pedestrian checkpoint by entering through an exit turnstile lane. Court documents say he made alarming statements while being detained by D.C. police and Secret Service officers.
“[Best] claimed he was Jesus Christ and that he wanted to get arrested,” the court records stated.
Authorities have not said whether the latest shooting was politically motivated, but leaders from both political parties condemned political violence following the incident, which comes amid several recent security scares involving President Donald Trump.
House Speaker Mike Johnson thanked the “brave Secret Service agents who took quick, decisive action to protect President Trump,” and said his prayers were with the victims of the “senseless shooting” for a speedy recovery.
Saturday’s shooting is the latest incident in a growing series of politically charged violent events across the country.
The incident comes just about a month after a lone gunman opened fire near the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner while Trump was attending the event. Trump also survived an assassination attempt during a July 2024 campaign rally, where a bullet grazed his ear.